FSE Installs its First Variable Refrigerant FlowNovember 2010
Four Seasons Environmental, Inc. successfully installed its first variable refrigerant flow (VRF) system at its NIOSH facility in Cincinnati. Here are the particulars:
- Mitsubishi Citi-Multi VRF; Equipment cost $25,000
- 7 1/2 tons; 76,---BTU/hour
- Currently serves 1,700 square feet; Two (20 zones, three (3) terminal units
- 1,200-square-foot conference room; zone 2, one (1) terminal unit
- Variable speed drives on the condenser and compressor; very quiet
- Can heat and cool simultaneously. This was the primary discriminator in choosing this system
- This heat pump can still produce 100°F air at 0° F OAT.
- This system has room to accept two (2) more terminal units/zones.
- Make-up air is controlled by a CO2 sensor.
- This Mitsubishi system is compatible with the existing Johnson Metasys DDC control system.
- In order to become certified to install this system, FSE's Tony Rauch traveled to Mitsubishi to attend its week-long training course. At the time, Tony passed his certification and was one of only two (2) technicians in Cincinnati to do so.